A couple weeks ago I was reading through the comments to a post on a homeschool Facebook group that was asking about suggestions for math curriculum. As I read through the comments I recognized every curriculum except for one: UnLock Math.
The commenter mentioned that it was a video-bases/computer-based curriculum produced by his wife. I clicked through to look at the website and got really excited!
We have used ChalkDust for math beyond elementary, and although I love ChalkDust (and my older two prefer ChalkDust to Saxon, Math-U-See, or any other math they've used), my 8th grader does not.
As I looked through the UnLock Math website I saw that the curriculum had elements of both ChalkDust (instruction is done via video and the instructor is accessible if the child is stumped) and Teaching Textbooks (lesson problems are done on the computer and graded automatically), along with some other interesting features.
I immediately contacted Matthew Blackwood via Facebook (he's the husband of the UnLock Math teacher) and asked him about the curriculum. By the end of the conversation, I had asked him to write up an article to introduce UnLock Math to my readers and he set up an account for my daughter to try out the Pre-Algebra Curriculum for this school year. She's already started on it (and enjoying it!) and we'll both be writing up our review later on this school year.
Until we write our own review, you can read other reviews of the curriculum:
- Cathy Duffy's review of UnLock Math
- Review by Tales of a Homeschool Family
- Review by A Year of Jubilee
- Review by Day by Day in our World
Get $50 off the purchase of a full course
Click this link to get $50 off an Unlock Math course. This coupon expires September 14, 2017.
Here's an overview of the UnLock Math curriculum (written by the creator's husband, Matthew Blackwood).
UnLock Math Brings The Math Teacher Right Into Your Home!
And not just any math teacher. We’ve got an energetic math teacher who loves math and teaching. Of course you may find me a bit biased, she happens to also be my wife!
We began this journey to develop UnLock Math in the spring of 2013. We were sitting at the kitchen table looking a curriculum for our 2 oldest, both boys, who at the time were 5 and 7. Alesia looked at me and referencing an online program asked, “why couldn’t we do something like this?” It was if a light bulb went off in my head as I realized that we could.
She is an AWESOME high school math teacher, I’ve seen her in action and know the passion with which she approaches both math and teaching. It’s that passion that we are able to bring right into your home through our online cloud based math platform that teaches, tests, grades, and tracks for you. Take a look below at all we’ve included for you.
UnLock Math Is The ONLY Math Curriculum To Combine:
- Teaching Videos with a real Teacher breaking math into "bite-size" chunks.
- An Interactive Advanced Assessment platform that adapts to your child.
- Immediate Feedback & Fully Explained Solutions for each question.
- Unlimited Practice & Review for students who need more practice to solidify skills.
- Automated Grading.
- Gradebook & Progress Reports that tracks progress & assignment details.
Teaching Videos UNLIKE Any Other!
Our videos engage, explain, and entertain! Many video lessons are dry, boring and hard to sit through. With UnLock Math your child will be looking forward to them!
Alesia breaks math into "bite-size" chunks that’ll have your child saying "Aha! Now I get it!"
It's like your child is the only student. No distractions. Just math.
Our Testing & Assessment Reduces Math Anxiety
- Your child will only see ONE question at a time. This helps to focus their attention and prevent them from being overwhelmed with a whole page of "math" that often causes anxiety.
- Your child will encounter questions that truly assess their understanding in ways that multiple choice simply can’t.
- Our adaptive questions guide your child through difficult concepts, effectively "teaching" them as they go through the questions.
- UnLock Math supports the use of standard mathematical notation in both the question text and student response. So your child can focus on their assignment, not the software.
- Your child is able to view feedback & fully explained solutions for each question. This feature is invaluable in helping your child discover where they "went wrong" in questions they answered incorrectly.
UnLock Math Is Easy To Navigate
- In just a few clicks your child is ready to begin.
- Your child can easily find what they need, when they need it.
- At each step we have designed UnLock Math to improve focus and reduce anxiety.
As Much Or Little Practice As Needed
- We know that some students need more practice to really "get it" while others are frustrated by programs that require "too much" practice. This is OK! UnLock Math adapts to your child's individual needs.
- Does your child need more practice? No problem.
- Is your child ready to move forward? Go ahead.
Your Child's UnLock Dashboard
- Your child logins to their personalized Dashboard
- They can see their progress at a glance.
- Choose their next lesson.
- View & Print their Progress Report that's updated in real time.
- Access their Gradebook that contains details of each completed assignment.
- Download a Pacing Guide.
We have UnLock Pre-Algebra & UnLock Algebra 1 available now and intend to complete UnLock Algebra 2 in 2016. Then it’s on to Geometry and Calculus.
I’d love it if you’d take a look at UnLock Math and what we’ve been pouring our hearts into over the last 2 ½ years. Let me know what you think about UnLock Math! I’d love to have your feedback as we move forward.
Connect with UnLock Math:
Matthew Blackwood has been involved in Homeschooling since 1981. His mother watched John Holt, a pioneer of the homeschooling movement, on the Phil Donahue show in 1981 beginning his involvement in homeschooling at age 9. Along with wife Alesia (fellow homeschool alum) he homeschools their 3 kids while they wait on number 4 due in Jan 2016. Matthew & Alesia are the founder of UnLock Math, Inc. working on creating a complete online middle/high school math curriculum.