Beyond being a chocoholic, I often have a powerful hankerin' for peanut butter, too.
So what could be better than chocolate and peanut butter together—in a snack that's actually good for you? I know it sounds too good to be true, but I assure you, it's not.
Now I do admit that this snack is not exactly lowfat, but I am trying to convince myself that the high amount of protein more than makes up for it!
I made this snack for the first time four years ago when my kids were still in public school. I found a recipe for Peanut Butter and Chocolate Protein Balls on the internet and made a batch—and instantly fell in love.
But for some strange reason (which I absolutely cannot fathom) I didn't make them again until tonight.
When I finally decided that I did want to make this absolutely scrumptious snack again, I couldn't find the recipe anywhere! I searched online for quite some time, but couldn't find the exact recipe that I had used originally. So I took what information I did find online and changed it up a little bit to make it more of what I remembered, and here's the recipe I came up with:
Peanut Butter and Chocolate Protein Balls
- 1 cup peanut butter (creamy or crunchy)
- 1 cup powdered milk
- 6 Tablespoons honey (1/4 cup + 1/8 cup=6 Tablespoons)
- 1/2 cup milk chocolate chips (I used regular-sized chips, but mini-chips would probably work better)
- 2 graham crackers, crushed
- Mix all the ingredients (except the graham crackers) together in a bowl.
- Form the mixture by hand into 1" balls.
- Roll the balls in the graham cracker crumbs to coat completely.
- Refrigerate or freeze, then enjoy!.
Makes around 2 dozen balls
Alternatives: Roll the balls in powdered sugar or unsweetened cocoa or replace the chocolate chips with raisins.
Those sound good! I'll have to try them! 🙂