Why Name Your Homeschool?
Many homeschoolers may not think about creating a unique name for their homeschool, but there are many reasons why having a name is not only a good idea, but sometimes even necessary.
- Some homeschool accountability groups/umbrella programs may require your homeschool to be identified by a name.
- An official name is often requested when signing up for reading incentive programs, such as Pizza Hut's Book It! program , or for education discounts at various stores and online suppliers.
- Having a homeschool name may also help your children have a sense of identity with their school.
- If you create student ID cards , you'll need a school name.
- A school name will be required for your children's high school transcripts that you prepare upon their graduation.
How to Name your Homeschool
So how do you go about actually choosing a name? Since there is no right or wrong way to do it, I can only make suggestions. When creating a unique homeschool name, consider including words related to the following:
- Your family's last name, such as…
- Jefferson Homeschool
- Anderson Academy
- Simpson Preparatory School
- Your street or city, such as…
- Cherry Street School for Boys
- Austin Academy for Excellence (yes, this might be a little pretentious…)
- Words or themes from a favorite verse, poem, character trait, famous person, author, etc. , such as…
- Live Oak Academy, based on Psalms 1:1-3
- Raven Homeschool
- George Washington Preparatory School
- J. Austen Academy
- Words related to your faith, such as…
- Faith Evangelical School
- First Christian School of Christ
- Terms related to your homeschooling style, such as…
- Mason Academy
- Classical Foundations Homeschool
- Northward Eclectic School
Going Beyond the Name
Once you've chosen a name for your school, you might even like to make up a logo, motto, mascot, etc. and purchase some custom apparel for your children, such as sweatshirts, T-shirts, or caps.
CafePress.com  is an easy way to create and purchase customized apparel and non-apparel items. Just create your logo and upload it to the CafePress site. You can then put the logo on dozens of different items.
(Just imagine being able to give your parents a bumper sticker that says something like "My Grandson is an Honors Student at Rolling Hills Academy"!)
How We Named Our Homeschool
Our homeschool is called Olórin Academy, and the name holds a lot of meaning for us, even though much of that is not blatantly obvious.
Olórin, which means "wisdom," was coined by J.R.R. Tolkien . (If that name sounds familiar to LOTR fans, it's because Olórin is the once-upon-a-time name of Gandalf .) So not only is our homeschool name a tribute to Tolkien, it also reflects the fact that our family has an intense love for books.
The meaning of Olórin also relates to the foundation verse we chose for our homeschool: "My son, give attention to my wisdom, incline your ear to my understanding." Proverbs 5:1.
So in the end, our choice of a school name reflects multiple aspects of our family and homeschool.
We also chose a mascot for our school. This one was pretty easy to decide on once we had a name. Since Olórin was the original name of Gandalf, our mascot is a horse. A white horse.
So do you have a school name already? If so, I'd love to hear it. Leave a comment and share why you chose your particular name.